Making a bottle cap capped table.

My niece wanted to decorate a table with bottle caps for a project. So, with Christmas coming, I asked her if she had a table. She said no, so I suggested I make one.

We agreed on the dimensions being “about this long, about this wide and about this high” using arms width as measurement. Being a man of science, I suggested we measure using feet instead of arms. So, the table was to be roughly 4 feet long by 2 feet wide by 1-1/2 feet high, colored black to match the other furniture.

I cut up some legs from a 2×4 to be about 1-1/2 by 2-1/2 by 17-1/2 high.


I used some stock 1×4 for aprons and marked out and chopped the mortises.


I’ve made a table before so this came together easier than I thought. A new router plane helped trim up the tenons in the aprons.

I sheeted the top with plywood and brought it to the client for a review with the intent of adding a moulding after discussion. It was suggested I make up an ogee moulding with clearance for the bottle caps. I was also given an ogee router bit. I got the message.

Here is the table put together.


And with a detail on the moulding.


I painted the table black with a coat of polyurethane. I would have preferred shellac, but I worried about alcohol being spilt on it so went with the poly.

I wrapped it up for Christmas.


Here is the table with the bottle caps arranged. She will either embed the lot in an epoxy or polyurethane or top the lot with glass.


We all pitched in to help collect beer bottle caps, which was fun in itself.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s