With the design fairly well done, I started laying out the parts.
I tried to orient the grain of the wood so that it was straight-grained on the legs below the seat level. This would give the strongest grain orientation in order to take the load of someone sitting on the chair.
I made a template out of hardboard and drew out the legs on the 2×8.
Then I cut around the leg shapes with the cordless saw. Each leg blank was then taken to the band saw and I cut around the marked lines.
Then they were taken to the bench and cleaned up with the plane.
To get a flat section where the legs meet the seat stretchers I used a Jeff Miller’s method of resting a plane on a know flat surface and registering from that.
I then ganged up the front and back legs and marked out for mortises all at the same time. This would ensure they all matched up.
I chopped out a couple of mortises by hand but finished the rest off with a router.
Then I had to set about marking angled tenons. I just sawed the tenons by hand.
They mostly went together well. This photo is of one of the front legs. I left the top of the leg long so that it would not get split when I chopped the mortise. This extra length would get sawed off later.
Starting to come together as a chair now. This is a dry fit.
I cut out a crest rail with the band saw and smoothed it down with my radius-bottomed planes.
And then added it into its spot.
I put the chair up on my bench to check the joints.
The side stretcher joints looks awry. I found that the front stretcher was too short. This is likely from not cutting perfect angles on the tenons on the side stretchers. I figured the easiest fix was to lengthen the front stretcher. i.e. Make a new one
Next up: Gluing up