I made some winding sticks from reclaimed maple with jatoba inserts.
I wanted to make some layout tools for myself and try and class up the joint somewhat. I never tried inlaying and usually make things out of pine scraps so this was nice for a change.
I started off by chopping up an old beaten up card table that was destined for the trash.
After stripping of material and removing damaged hardware, I found some maple underneath.
Not trying to be masochistic here, I just figured on cutting everything by hand. I have a table saw that lives in the garage for rough work. This was easier to saw at the bench beside trying to rig something up.
The winding sticks are to trapezoidal in cross section so I had to cut an angled face onto one side. It worked out OK.
Here are the two “blanks”. Rough shaped and cut to length.
They had to be taken down in height though. I chiseled out the bulk this time as opposed to sawing again.
..and then planed the faces. So shiny.
Then I planed the bottom of each winding stick flat. Perfect is good, right?
The tops of each winding stick were planed together to get them the same size and parallel.
I have an old stair tread in jatoba that gets pulled out for small things. It is hard for me to plane. Lots of stropping the blade. I’m getting better though.
I planed one face of the jatoba and then cut out the part to use as an insert. I only focused on having one side of the insert flat for now and the other side would be planed flush after inserting.
I shaped the inserts into trapezoid shapes and then traced around them on the winding sticks.
With the shapes trace out, I then chopped out a recess to match.
And cleaned up the recesses with the router plane.
The inserts were glued in. The tops sit proud of the face of the winding stick. They’ll be chiselled and planed flat.
At the center of each winding stick, I wanted a center dot. This was done by making a dowel and then drilling the stick out and inserting the dowel.
I didn’t have a dowel maker to I drilled a hole in a flat washer. I then pounded a stick of jatoba through the hole, making a dowel.
I just needed two short pieces so this worked fine. The washer didn’t hold up for long but I got enough.
I used the same drill that I used on the washer and went and drilled out a pocket for the dowel.
I hammered short lengths of dowel into each winding stick. I wiped off the excess glue with some shavings, so that’s why it looks untidy.
They planed up real nice. I also planed the trapezoid inserts flat too.
I planed each surface again and then sanded and shellacked all. With the shellac dry, I rubbed the sticks with 0000 steel wool and wax. They have a low lustre.
I think they look pretty nice. Now to see if they help prep a board. They’re not for looking at!